Friday, August 20, 2010

My coffee Experience...

My coffee experience..


I just want a bloody coffee!! That’s what I really wanted to scream, the first time I stepped into STARBUCKS..who wouldn’t if this happened…


Barista: Hi welcome to Starbucks (excitedly..)
ME: uhh..hi..(somewhat hesitantly..obviously it wasn’t a good day..)
Barista: So what would you like today?
ME: Just coffee please..
Barista: OOOkaaay..(Now with a look that said “Really? Just coffee? Is there even such a thing? Hello!! )we actually have a few types of coffee..would you like it black or…
ME: Owh..with milk please..
Barista: So would you like to try a latte, cappuccino, macchiato or just an Americano or brewed coffee with milk on the side?
ME: Err..I guess I would have the coffee with milk on the side (with a face that I think that a Neanderthal would have when spoken to in English…)
Barista: You must mean the brewed coffee then…short, tall, grande or venti?
ME: I’m sorry, what?
Barista: I mean the SIZE ma’am..what s-i-z-e would you like? (showing me cups in different sizes like I was Martian and he was the earthling trying to communicate)
ME: That one! (pointing at the smallest mug)
Barista: Ok..would that be hot or iced?
ME: Hot.
Barista: Having here or take-away?
ME: Having here…
Barista: would you like room for your milk?
ME: Yes..(when I really wanted to say, “no I prefer a whole house”)
Barista: Would you like an extra shot?
ME: Ermm..No (shot? Was he going to shoot me??)
Barista: Would you like to add on any syrup?
ME: Maybe?
Barista: Vanilla? Hazelnut? Caramel?
ME: erm…vanilla I guess…
Barista: would you like your milk steamed?
ME: no please (with a look of horror…why would I want it steamed? Wouldn’t it vaporize?)
Barista: Would you like to have something to eat with that?
ME: No…just the coffee…
Barista: Would you like to purchase a reusable tumbler? You would enjoy a discount every time you use it in our stores…even now…
ME: No thank you…maybe some other time…
Barista: That would be RM 6.95…would it be cash or credit?
ME: Cash…(handing it over…)
Barista: Your drink would be ready in a minute…
ME: ok…
Barista: enjoy your drink and please come again (I don’t really think he meant the second part)
ME: Yeaaa thanks I guess…


That event scarred my life... “never was I going to Starbucks again”, or so I thought…but the addiction had already set in..a few years later, the addiction reached a peak. I needed my caffeine fix more often than before and ‘normal’ coffee just wasn’t cutting it…I was spending more and more on a cup of coffee than on whole meals…so when I got an opportunity to work at Starbucks, I jumped at it…free coffee and I get paid at the same time…but, I told myself, I would never be like that barista whom I had met years earlier…until…

(after a few weeks at starbucks…)


Customer: Could I have some water please?
ME: Hot, cold or plain water, ma’am?
Customer: Cold please..
ME: Would you like it in a mug or take-away cup ma’am?
Customer: a mug is fine…
ME: What size ma’am?
Customer: The small one will do…
ME: do you want ice with it?
Customer: yes please…
ME: Would you like me to add the ice into the water or put it separately?
Customer: Put it in, put it separately, or DON’T PUT IT AT ALL!! CAN I JUST HAVE A BLOODY CUP OF WATER!!!!
ME: Of course…here you go…enjoy your day (smiling…)
Customer: Finally!! Thank you…


And all that…just for a cup of water…